As a speaker no one ever asks you any more “Do you have a website?” but rather “What is your website address?” So creating and maintaining a professional looking web presence is a step that you should strongly consider in order to project a professional image.
Here are a few tips on how to easily create a great web presence in the shortest time and for the least money…
Building a website used to be a very tedious and complicated process, and you’d have to pay hundreds or thousands (or even millions) of dollars to have one built. Today anyone can build a web presence – including a website – without any technical knowledge.
Here are some of my suggestions:
1. The obvious one is to start a blog; and my #1 recommendation is a http://wordpress.org blog . With a wordpress blog you can download blog templates to your local folder and use your own domain name as your web address. (Here are some of the sites I host with http://www.wodrpress.org : http://www.discSalesStyles.com, http://PaidSpeaker101.com, http://BecomeAdiscTrainer.com, http://disc411.com ).
The simpler alternative is to start a blog at http://www.wordpress.com or at http://www.blogger.com. At these sites anyone can have a blog up in minutes. What I like about both http://www.wordpress.com and http://www.wordpress.org is the ability to set up your blog to look like a website, with several pages.
2. Here are some other website-building solutions: http://www.HostMonster.com provides unlimited hosting for unlimited websites for about $140/year – this is a great choice if you build your own site AND if you plan to have several sites.
3. http://www.GoDaddy.com will provide you hosting for one site for about $4.00 per month and/or a simple siteBuilder (WebSiteTonight or SmartSpace) for about $5.00/month. See my site at http://www.CommunicationSkillsMagic.com that was set up with a SmartSpace webBuilder at GoDaddy.
4. I built my first site – which is still my main site – at http://www.QuickBizSites.com . Here you can build your site very easily right away, without paying in advance (nor do they ask you for a credi… then if you want to keep it, you’ll pay $19.95 per month (a pretty high fee, but a great deal for non-technical people) . Visit http://www.egSebastian.com to see the site built with QuickBizsites builder.
5. Recently I discovered http://www.homestead.com – a friend of mine is using it for several of her sites. I digged around a bit and I think it’s a great service and it only costs $4.95 /month. Visit my friend’s site, built with this service at http://www.WellnessAtYourDoor.com/
6. Another great site builder can be find at http://order.1and1.co.uk/. A friend just recently brought this site to my attention and she says that their templates are really great; and this too is a very affordable service ($9.95/month)
Of course, if you have a special vision of how you want your website to look, and you can afford the fees of a professional designer, then you might want to take that route. Using a designer is also a great idea as it allows you to focus your time on your strengths and on your money-generating activities. However, if you are on low budget, I hope you can use some of the above tips and develop a strong web presence. And don’t forget, these days video rules, so take advantage of http://www.youtube.com, http://www.vidler.com, and other video hosting sites. A simple search for “post video” will provide you with a large number of video hosting sites.
See you on the web! … and send me your link to your new site – make me proud!
If you want to take your web skills one step further, fill in your name adn email address below and I’ll send you my eBook “How to Build a Money-Generating Blog,”
contains check-lists that show you step by step how to build your http://www.wordpress.org blog (using your own domain name)
suggests content ideas that will generate an income for you
you do not need to have a product! I’ll show you how to sell other people’s products and get 50% or more in commission
will show you 7 easy way (and most of FREE) ways to drive traffic to your blog
Simply fill in your contact info below and you’ll be emailed the download link instantly*