“The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue hapiness. You have to catch it yourself.” ~ Benjamin Franklin ~
Once you have a program in place, it’s time to stop planning and start implementing; and, fact is, you become good by practicing your skill as much as possible, and you start getting paid once you get out there and market yourself. Here are a few tips that will ensure that you’ll “Make it Happen”:
- Commit to contacting 5 to 10 businesses per day [or more, if your stomach can take it], ideally in person, or by phone. Once you exhaust your local area, use the phone [I travel as far as 70+ miles to speak in person with company reps, and at imes I’l only see the receptionist… I believe that nothing is as powerful as showing up in person and letting the other person see who s/he’d be dealing with if s/he hired me as a speaker.]
- Practice your skills by speaking at least once a week – ideally 2 to 4 times.
Enroll in your local Toastmasters club – or in several, if your time permits – and make your speeches related to the workshops or keynotes you intend to give at company conferences and other paid gigs. Toastmasters is the best place to mess up – not only no one will mind, but you’ll also get some constructive feedback.
Volunteer to speak at
– Car Dealerships,
– Insurance Agencies,
– Chamber of Commerce Events (contact Chambers from around your area as well)
_ Chamber of Commerce Groups (Young Entrepreneur Group, etc.)
– Health Clubs – YMCA, etc.
Many of these places have weekly or monthly meetings where they invite outside speakers. Insurance Agencies, Realtors, and other businesses might even be able to pay you a small fee… The key, however, in the beginning is to get more and more PRACTICE and VISIBILITY.
- VIDEO RECORD EACH OF YOUR PRSENTATION WHENEVER POSSIBLE!!!!!! (You’ll thank me later, if you listen to me on this one…)
- Pick topics that fit your audience (Time Management, Productivity, Stress Management, etc.)
- Tweak your title to sound niche-specific: Time Management for Busy Realtors; Stress Management for Auto Sales Professionals, etc.
Take Massive Action – Get out there and be seen!!!
- Talk for free or fee as often as possible
- Put on teleclasses and webinars on your niche topic(s) (can have them transcribed and be the basis of a book or booklet)
- Always collect names and grow your list
- Write artices (check secret #11 on How to Position Yourself as an Expert in Your Niche)
- Start a blog in your niche and write your posts “with the end in mind..” – turn your blog posts into a book later
Take massive action! If you want to make it as a speaker, you must be seen… and must be good… but most importantly, you need to get to a point where speaking is a second nature to you and can be ready to speak whenever you are needed.
If you only follow only one of the “secrets” I shared with you – Secret #10 – you’ll already have a guaranteed success as a speaker. Often all it takes is STOP PLANNING and TAKE ACTION!
“Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving, but does not make any progress.” ~ Alfred Montapert, Writer ~
Remember! If you do not have a professionally designed program, you can always get one at http://www.egSebastian.com/facilitator_kits
If you have not signed up yet to get these posts in your email inbox, you cand do so by entering your contact info below:
!!! We will never share your contact info with anyone for any reason !!!