As a speaker you’ll need to have a website. These days no one will take you seriously if you can’t refer them to your website. The good news is, builing a web presence just got easier…
Building a website used to be a very tedious and complicated process, and you’d have to pay hundreds or thousands (or even millions) of dollars to have one built. Today anyone can build a web presence – including a website – without any technical knowledge.
Here are some of my suggestions:
1. The obvious one is to start a blog; and my #1 recommendation is www.wordpress.org . With www.wordpress.org you can download blog templates to your local folder and use your own domain name as your web address. See some of the sites I host with www.wodrpress.com below). The simple alternative is to start a blog at www.wordpress.com or at www.blogger.com. At these sites anyone can have a blog up in minutes. What I like about www.wordpress.com is the ability to set up your blog to look like a website, with several pages.
2. Here are some other website-building solutions: http://www.HostMonster.com provides unlimited hosting for unlimited websites for about $140/year – this is a great choice if you build your own site AND if you plan to have several sites.
3. www.GoDaddy.com will provide you hosting for one site for about $4.00 per month and/or a simple siteBuilder (WebSiteTonight or SmartSpace) for about $5.00/month. See my site at http://www.CommunicationSkillsMagic.com that was set up with a SmartSpace webBuilder at GoDaddy.
4. I built my first site – which is still my main site – at www.QuickBizSites.com . Here you can build your site very easily right away, without paying in advance (nor do they ask you for a credi… then if you want to keep it, you’ll pay $19.95 per month (a pretty high fee, but a great deal for non-technical people) . Visit www.egSebastian.com to see the site built with QuickBizsites builder.
5. Recently I discovered www.homestead.com/ – a friend of mine is using it for several of her sites. I digged around a bit and I think it’s a great service and it only costs $4.95 /month. Visit my friend’s site, built with this service at http://www.WellnessAtYourDoor.com/
6. I also found a completely FREE webHosting service, complete with site builder. You can find it at http://00WebHost.com — They have hundreds of great looking templates and you can upgrade to a paid accoung ($4.95) in exchange for a promise of higher uptime. If you are on tight budget, I’d definitely try the FREE version first. (I tried it briefly with a test site – http://makemoneyfromhome411.com – and it seems to work just fine…
Of course, if you have a special vision of how you want your website to look, and you can afford the fees of a professional designer, then you might want to take that route. Using a designer is also a great idea as it allows you to focus your time on your strengths and on your money-generating activities. However, if you are on low budget, I hope you can use some of the above tips and develop a strong web presence. And don’t forget, these days video rules, so take advantage of www.youtube.com, www.vidler.com, and other video hosting sites. A simple search for “post video” will provide you with a large number of video hosting sites.
See you on the web! … and send me your link to your new site – make me proud!
© Copyright E.G. Sebastian, 2008. All rights reserved.
E.G. Sebastian is a leadership development consultant and an international speaker (speaks 6 languages); is a certified DiSC Behavioral System trainer and DiSC personality assessments distributor.
To hire E.G. to provide a DiSC-based presentation for your group call him toll-free at 877.379.3793, or contact him by E-mail at email@example.com. To learn more about DISC, visit http://www.egSebastian.com and sign up for our 7-Part DISC eCourse … You may reproduce this article on your website, eZine, or print newsletter as long as you keep the above bio as part of the article. (please shoot an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know that you’d be interested in publishing more DISC, relationships, team-building, and performance related articles.)
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=E._G._Sebastian